<em>Welcome!</em>

Welcome!

We welcome you to Balquhidder Parish Kirk!

<em>Fàilte don Eaglais againn!</em>

Fàilte don Eaglais againn!

<em>The Old Church, dating from 1631</em>

The Old Church, dating from 1631

Latest news

27 January 2023

Our services continue as normal on Sunday 29th January with morning worship at the Kirk from 11:30 a.m. This week we shall be looking at the subject of despair and hope. Following the service, there will be an opportunity to meet and chat together in the Friendship Room at the rear of the church building.

This beautiful rural parish, at the western extremity of what used to be Perthshire, now comes under Stirling Council. Farming remains a major part of life here, despite the inroads made by the Forestry Commission and the predominance of tourism.

The backdrop of mountains, lochs and rivers, combined with a sense of history, appeals to country-lovers and tourists and the parish is now part of the Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park which was established in 2002. Visitors to the area appreciate the variety of attractions and, in coming to see the church, enjoy some tranquil moments in their busy schedules.

The parish extends nearly six miles beyond the end of the public road at Inverlochlarig in Balquhidder Glen and, at its widest point, measures some ten miles between the summit of Glen Ogle in the North and Ardchullarie by Loch Lubnaig to the South. Much of the parish boundary follows a watershed which takes in summits over 3,000 feet, such as Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chroin in the East and Ben More and Stob Binnean in the West.

The parish church is situated in Balquhidder Glen on a site where Christianity was introduced by St Angus some 1,200 years or more ago. Nowadays, a total population of almost eight hundred is divided between the two main centres of population, namely: Lochearnhead (at the junction of the A84 and A85) and Strathyre (five miles to the South on the A84). The Kirkton of Balquhidder is loosely referred to as “the village” but the glen is officially described as a “dispersed rural settlement”.

Railways were at the heart of nineteenth century developments, with stations at Lochearnhead and Strathyre. Balquhidder had its own station midway between the two, plus a halt at Kingshouse. The railway route is now followed by a good cycle track all the way from Callander to Killin. Landslides (plus Dr Beeching) closed the railways and, in 2004, affected the A84 road badly, necessitating considerable engineering works which have worked well to cope with extreme weather.

 

church life

For more information about our church life and services, click on the button below.

CHURCH LIFE

 

parish life

For more information about life in the wider parish, click on the button below.

PARISH LIFE

Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline